18 December 2006

Christmas Music

A very slow day to begin with. We didn't do anything until the evening. I was hoping to keep it that way. Although quite boring, I would prefer to do nothing and get paid for it sometimes than cart around people that should be taking a taxi. Oh well.

All hell broke loose around 1800. We were called to a nursing home for chest pain. We got on scene, did our workup and determined that it was most likely a respiratory problem and not cardiac. Our patient had crackles in his lungs, just on the right side...probably pneumonia.

We had just made it back to quarters and got into bed (by this time it was around 2200 after getting dinner, etc) and we were called to a stand-by emergency room for a psych eval. Okay, no biggie. Just grab and go, drop 'em off and go back to bed. Well, it wasn't that easy. The nurse only gave us like maybe 1/16 of the story. She was actually an overdose. On cocaine, meth, trazadone, a bunch of psych meds, and pain killers. She was dizzy and nearly fell over getting onto the cot. Then she was hallucinating in the back of the ambulance. She said, "I really like what you've done with the place. Those curtains are beautiful!" Now mind you, we don't have any curtains, and our rig is definitely not beautiful. Then she asked why we were outside, and starting flipping out again trying to get the blanket over her head to suffocate herself. A little Narcan did the trick (kinda) but she was still hallucinating when we left the ER.

Made it back to quarters again. Laid down for 15 minutes. Called to transfer a psych to the state mental hospital. I was cursing and going on for several minutes because it is over 60 miles away. We got to the ER and I walk with the stretcher past the nurses station. The nurse grabbed my arm and was like, "you can't go in there without security!" I was like, "well, I wasn't planning on it, I'm just getting the cot out of the way." Whatever. So, we wait forever for paperwork, as usual, and finally we meet our patient. Before we even get a chance to open the door she opens it and yells at my partner, "you don't need to be knocking on my door, it is rude!" He never even touched the door. It took a lot of convincing, or rather several large security guards, to get her onto the cot. She loved the four point restraints. Ha. And even made my partner swear which takes quite a bit. The ride was actually quite funny. First I was listening to like pop/rock music, but I can't stand commercials, so then I changed it to country. Then that had commercials eventually too, so I changed it to Christmas music. Ooooh...that's when the fun started. She hated the music. So what did I do, you ask? I turned it up. And we both started singing, quite loudly I might add. For over 40 miles of the trip :). When we got there she said we stole her candy and that my partner's sister was a bitch, which she was referring to me. Then she got to fight with the guards at the mental hospital, so we headed home. Another life saved.

We did another transfer to a nursing facility out of the ER. This place is quite creepy. We always call the buildings bomb shelters. They are very funny looking and out of place, and there are maybe 50 of them. Very hard to find the one you need. And the lady was hacking and coughing all over my rig. Ugh. Disgusting.

We got back to quarters at 0654. At least I wasn't held over.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Went to bed?
How long are your shifts?
And is "held over" the same as a late job taking you beyond your finish time?
Cheers....kingmagic.

03:04  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At my station we work 12 hr shifts, 0700-1900/1900-0700hrs.
On my last set of nights we were doing between 9 and 11 jobs! Thats per crew! Sometimes its like never being away from work...do the shift, go home straight to bed, get up, go to work!
But the days off are good! I think?

10:10  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Update! We need more tales from Chicago!

12:07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it was quite unprofessional of you and your partner to antagonize your patient. She obviously has serious mental health issues. You would think that so called professionals would handle these situations with some dignity.

09:00  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lol the shifts are 24 on 48 off...

14:43  
Anonymous become a paramedic said...

Yes, Christmas is fast approaching and you hear Christmas music over the radio. I'm pretty sure that you guys will be discussing with your colleagues who among you will take the night shift on that very day. :D

23:54  
Anonymous become a paramedic said...

Yes, Christmas is fast approaching and you hear Christmas music over the radio. I'm pretty sure that you guys will be discussing with your colleagues who among you will take the night shift on that very day. :D

23:54  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Click headline for top content from Firehouse.Com
The Web's Community & Resource
for Fire, Rescue, EMS & Safety