12 November 2005

Yeah. You came at a bad time

I hate it when I don't have time to blog and I totally forget what I did during the day. Um...think, think think.....We did several other calls after the psych.

***

We got a call for shortness of breath. When we got on scene the lady said she was always short of breath. So I did an assessment while my partner did paperwork and talked to the nurse. The nurse said we were actually taking her for a fever. Yep. You guessed it. No fever either. But, when I did vitals her blood pressure was only around 84 systolic. I got out my IV kit to spike a bag etc. That was all good, but there were only three angiocatheters in the bag- a 16, 24, and an 18 gauge. That's really helpful. Needless to say I did get the line with an 18, and once we got her out of the geri-chair and layed her down, her BP came up to around 100 systolic-good enough. Of course the closest hospital wasn't the hospital she wanted to go to, and her condition didn't warrant a diversion. Halfway through the transport she had such bad back pain I had to run hot anyways. Stupid.

***

Back to the gas station to fill up and get coffee to make it through the rest of the night. I stayed outside while it was pumping and my partner went in to pay. She waited in line for so long that it was done pumping and I got my coffee before we got to the front of the line. We have to use fuelman to pay for our gas, so we handed the card to the cashier and waited for him to do his thing. Then he walked away and started pulling out the cash drawer and filing papers. I was like, okay...are we done yet. He gave me this look like I was an idiot and kept putting stuff away. We stood there for probably 10 minutes. Finally my partner asked what the hold up was. The cashier said "You came at a bad time. It's shift change." I had to restrain myself. A bad time??? I'll give you a bad time. How would you like it if you called 911 and the dispatcher tells you "you called at a bad time, so you'll have to hold on" or if I showed up at your house and said "you know, you called us at a bad time. We were right in the middle of dinner, I have to pee, and I could really use a smoke break. We'll be back at our own convenience. Thanks." Or if we didn't run calls too close to our off time because it's "shift change." It really made me wonder why they call gas stations "convenience stores." It must mean "at the stores convenience." It just really bugs me that people can be such ass holes when no matter what time of day, what I'm doing, or how I feel- I'm still out on the streets, at everyone else's convenience to help them. I'm somewhat disgusted.

***

Another psych transport and it was 0600 and my coverage came in early so I could leave for my fire test. That went relatively well. I was off for several hours so I went to the book store and grocery store before I had to head back to the firehouse.

***

I'm back at the firehouse (since 2000). No calls yet. The guys are playing a game called "Tanks" on the computer and I plan to read for a while and call it a night. I'm off at 0500. Yeah!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Click headline for top content from Firehouse.Com
The Web's Community & Resource
for Fire, Rescue, EMS & Safety