18 November 2005

Patient or Nurse: you decide

Our last call was a transfer back to a psych facility. The guy was taken into the ER for "abnormal labs." They took his blood again and realized the facility put the wrong patient label on the blood tubes. His labs were completely normal. A waste of 16 hours for him. We dropped our patient off outside the door to his room, then proceeded back down the hall to the nurses station. There's only one problem. I'm sure most other cities have facilities very similar to this one. You can never tell who works at the place and who lives there. All the staff wears street clothes, as do the patients, and quite frankly most of the staff (that I actually recognize as staff) would fit right in with the rest of the crowd. Needless to say I did get my run form signed; whether or not it was a nurse or another patient-is a whole different story.

Got in late to the firehouse. I was supposed to be in at 0800, but seeing as I didn't get relieved at the ambulance company until 0800 from the oncoming crew, I had no choice but to come in at 0845. I didn't have my pager on, so when I got to the station I was quite surprised that one of the ambulances was missing. Then I heard sirens and saw them fly past the station. Shit. I hate it when that happens!

The guys returned shortly after. A routine call-not quite sure why they were running lights and sirens... Anyways I helped out the medic by typing his report into firehouse since it really should have been my call. Then we all got ready to go to a funeral. My chief's mother-in-law passed away after a rough few months of hospice care. It was quite dismal and I wasn't quite sure what to say. I had never met the woman and I didn't know any of the family, but I was there to support my chief and his family. We stayed for about 30 minutes and made a quiet exit. We had an engine call for a true alarm and got returned before we made it to the scene. I stayed at the station as the medic.

I got off at 1700. No calls at all (for me at least). I had three hours to do laundry, pay bills and play with my cat, and it was back to work. I started again at 2000. Still nothing. It's off to bed with me after I check out the ambulance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Click headline for top content from Firehouse.Com
The Web's Community & Resource
for Fire, Rescue, EMS & Safety