20 November 2005

No work today :(

I had my alarm set for 0650 as usual this morning. I woke up and hit snooze, as usual. The only problem was that when I tried to get out of bed-I couldn't. Even trying to move just a couple of inches felt like my body was going to fall apart. I was still trying to get out of bed at 0730 when I realized it wasn't going to happen.

I called my station manager (who also happens to be my partner) to tell her my predicament. She was completely understanding and said she just wanted me to get better. That was good- at least one worry off my chest. Then I called the box (headquarters) to tell them I was "calling off." Operations wasn't there so I got a hold of dispatch. I told them, they put it in the log, and transferred me back to operations to leave a message on their machine. I did and that was that. My partner actually stopped in around lunch time to bring me a baked potato and chili. That was really nice. By that time I had actually made it out of bed and was on the couch. Had I been any more mobile I probably would have gone in for the back half (2000-0800). Oh well. I just hate calling off. The only other time I have done it was when I had pneumonia with a 103.7 fever. I actually went in to work like that, but after twelve hours I was so exhausted that my partner had to take me to the ER. Oops. I didn't want a situation like that again. Also I don't want my back problems to affect my patient care (such as smoothness of moving and lifting).

Basically I have done absolutely nothing all day. Maybe some stuff that I shouldn't be doing anyways. I did some laundry. I finally got to wash my sheets that have been in my laundry basket for over a week now. I also caught up on some reading and played snood on my computer.

I tried to take a nice hot bath but for some reason I don't have any hot water. Damn it. I have more problems with this apartment than I would like to admit. I called and left a message on the emergency maintenance line, even though they don't consider it an emergency. They called my back and actually came out to see if they could fix it within the hour. That was very surprising. The guy looked at my hot water heater and said it was fine and the pilot light was on. It just needed to warm up. This was kind of frustrating because this wasn't the first time this happened. I waited about 1 1/2 hours and my bath water was actually hot. Awesome. It was quite relaxing, and I enjoyed reading my book in the tub. Now I am going to relax in bed and possibly finish a few chapters before I nod off.


Post a Comment

<< Home

Click headline for top content from Firehouse.Com
The Web's Community & Resource
for Fire, Rescue, EMS & Safety