09 January 2006

Community Education

So close, yet so far to being back to work. I go to the doctor tomorrow. I am praying that I will be able to convince her to let me return to work. I am so ready. I did schedule my first physical therapy session, but unfortunately I know how they work. Once you're in physical therapy, it is up to them to release you-not your doctor; so basically if they decide I'm not 100% I don't go back to work. That would really piss be off. Oh well wish me luck.

In my time off I have had a lot of time (obviously) to think about my future. I am psyched about the new year. My classes will be great and I am ready to have my psycho schedule back. And, of course, I'm always looking for something else to take up more of my time (sleep is so overrated).

On Thanksgiving Day I posted about a incident I had in my apartment with Carbon Monoxide. I spoke with my management at my apartment complex a few times about it and I decided that I am going to do some sort of fire prevention/public education at the complex. The manager agreed that this would be a good idea. I have everything typed out-including handouts about smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors, fire safety in the home, etc. I plan on putting on several nights of public education in my apartment community so that I can tell them my story and urge my fellow neighbors to take action and get CO detectors, check their smoke detectors, and have a plan if there ever is an emergency. I have also spoken to managment about fire drills, escape plans, setting up meeting places and fire prevention ideas that will dispersed in our monthly newsletters-to both my community (at Osprey Lake) and other communities owned by the same company.

I would also like to include my EMS skills including offering several nights a month for free blood pressure readings, and (once I am certified) offering free or very low cost CPR and first aid training.

I am depending on some of my fellow firefighters, EMTs and medics from my fire station, private amublance job, and other adjunct instructors to help me get this started- I think it will be a great learning opportunity for both myself and everyone else involved.

I never realized until just recently how much I enjoy teaching and sharing what I know with my community. I have been an adjunt instructor for a local EMT-B course for about a year or so; teaching practical skills, such as first aid, shock management, medical/trauma assessment, etc. I have always loved it and I think it is important that I share this with my own community outside of the classroom-free of charge. It is a small thing that I can give back to my community that has given so much to me.

So, wish me luck in my endeavors-hopefully I will get into the CPR and First Aid instructor classes so I can get my show on the road-literally. If all works out, I will be accepted into the National Fire Academy in June for a week long course on Fire Prevention and Public Education-my application is in, now I just have to wait. Cross your fingers :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Click headline for top content from Firehouse.Com
The Web's Community & Resource
for Fire, Rescue, EMS & Safety